Veterans Day 2014
"Honor Sacrifice - The Purple Heart"
The Alliance for Veterans would like to invite all military veterans, their guests, and the community to join us for our annual Missouri State University Veterans Day events on Tuesday, November 11, 2014:
Veterans Recognition Breakfast - 8:00am to 9:30am in Plaster Student Union Ballroom:
The keynote speaker for this event is Randy Thomas, Military Order of the Purple Heart. Reservations are requested by November 4, 2014. Please call 417-836-5636 (MSU Career Center) or submit reservation form online. This event is open to all military veterans and their guests.
Missouri State's Canteen - 9:45am to 10:15am in the Plaster Student Union Food Court:
The music is provided by The Hibernotes, MSU's newest co-ed acapella group and music majors, Eric Swanson and James Benecasa. This event is free and open to the public.
Missouri State University Taps Project - 10:15am to 11:15am at the South Entrance of McDonald Arena:
Bear Pride Trumpet Section, MSU, and community trumpets will perform a concert followed by the cascades of "Taps". All are asked to pause at the sound of "Taps" to reflect on those who have sacrificed all in public service. This event is free and open to the public.
Parking and Special Accommodations:
- Parking - Veterans attending are invited to park in Lots 14 and 16 along Florence Avenue. Turn West off of National Avenue onto Bear Boulevard (Monroe) and follow the signage. Transportation to the Plaster Student Union from the parking lots will be provided from 7:15 am to 8:15am. Return transportation will be available at 11:20am following "Taps".
- Special Accommodations and Assistance - Attendees needing assistance, a drop-off location, or personal assistance, please call 417-836-4825. Other special accommodations can be provided by contacting MSU Disability Services at 417-836-4192.
The willingness to go into "harms way" to defend our Country from those who would attempt to destroy the freedoms that the United States of America was founded upon constitutes the noblest form of engaged citizenship. As members of this alliance and of a University dedicated to a mission in "public affairs" it is our duty to ensure that the sacrifices made and the deprivations endured by America's courageous military defenders are lifted up as examples to the entire campus community as the kind of action necessary to defend and build our democratic republic.
semper in memoria ('always remember')
Past Veterans Day Campus Events
- 2013- Missouri State Remembers the Civil War
- 2012 - Missouri State Salutes the Air Force
- 2011 - Missouri State Salutes the Marines
- 2010 - Missouri State Salutes the Army
- 2009 - Missouri State Salutes the Coast Guard
- 2008 - Missouri State Salutes the Navy
- 2007 - Post Vietnam Conflicts
- 2006 - WWII
- 2005 - Women in Uniform
- 2004 - Vietnam
- 2003 - Korea
The Alliance for Veterans Committee would like to say “Thank You” to all of our University units, Community Partners, and Missouri State University faculty, staff and students for their continued support of our Veterans Day Events to honor all those who have served and are currently serving in our US Military.
Veterans History Project
The Alliance partners with the Library of Congress Veterans History Project to capture and preserve the personal recollections of area veterans and of civilians who have supported America's war efforts, providing services, supplies, and expertise in conducting oral histories. Copies of videotaped interviews are provided to the subjects and to the Library of Congress for its permanent collection. Master copies are also archived in Meyer Library for local access and use. We now have more than 400 interviews on file in Meyer Library. http://library.missouristate.edu/archives/speccoll/m013.htm
You can learn about the Library of Congress project and also obtain instructions for conducting your own interview at www.loc.gov/vets. The local archive may be viewed at Meyer Library or by clicking on Meyer Library Archive.